Friday, February 19, 2010

Heating With Wood


This is our new corner of 'heaven'. After much time and labor(mostly on my husband's part), we are heating our home with wood. I never dreamed that I would have a woodstove. The thought of it brought back memories of people at church you couldn't stand to sit by because they smelled like burned wood. That smell is nice when you are sitting by a campfire, roasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya, but not so much when you are sitting in church singing Kumbaya....thinking no, I don't wanna sitbaya. Yuck. I did not want our home, clothes and hair to smell like that.

When we moved into this house 5 1/2 years ago, we put our furniture from our living room in the finished basement. We decided we would just wait and think about the living room later. Well, circumstances put this project on the bottom of the list, and it has been more of a parlour with just our piano, chair, and our bird's cage. About 2 years ago we decided, after many birthday celebrations with everyone crowding in the kitchen and dining room, we should probably think about doing something with that space. We researched and drew up floor plans, and decided we would put in a gas fireplace(notice the marking on the floor drawn out for the 'fireplace'). We looked at fireplace after fireplace and had come pretty close to choosing the one we wanted.

Then one chilly, February morning, my husband went for a long run with a friend of his. They went back to his house to get warmed up before coming home. He sat by our friends' woodstove after being chilled to the bone, and the rest is history after presenting me with 'Hey, what do you think about getting a woodstove instead of a fireplace?' I had concerns(see above), and he assured me that the new stoves on the market are airtight and efficient, and promised me that I would not smell like Mrs. Grizzly Adams. We purchased our woodstove last March, and finally got it completely installed last month.

We are learning. There is so much more to this than flipping on a switch to turn the fake ambiance on. Jody and the boys have spent the last year helping friends and family chop down trees, hauling wood, splitting it and stacking it. Our youngest had to get in on the action as well, and has his own maul(it's really an axe because they don't make mauls small enough for him). Yes, he is wearing goggles, gloves, and boots. If it were up to me, he would be in full body armour! :) We also have to haul wood into the house 1 or 2x a day, and getting it started every morning can be a challenge for novices. So, you spend the spring/summer chopping, splitting, and hauling what you can get your hands on.

And about that safety thing. When the woodstove was finally installed and we started that first fire, I panicked about all the things that could go wrong. I went out and bought a new fire extinguisher, new smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and had it professionally inspected. I would panic leaving it going when I left the house for any period of time. Maybe all this is normal. Maybe. At any rate, not only is this a new thing for us, it is something to be respected at all times. I do have much less anxiety now that I feel more comfortable with it. I am actually really enjoying it.

There is a level of pride in knowing we are being self-sustaining in this way. Since we started heating with wood, we have not turned our furnace on one time! It heats our whole upstairs, and because we have a stove made mostly out of soap stone, it heats efficiently and gently and allows us to enjoy being in the same room with it. We do have humidifiers in the kids' rooms, and have not noticed our skin any more dry than usual. Oddly enough, my skin is not as 'itchy' as it usually is this time of year. The big bonus was when we got our last energy bill in the mail. We had only used the woodstove for 2 weeks and we had saved over $100. I never thought I would look forward to my next month's energy bill at this time of year, but I am excited to see how much less it is after using it a whole month! Another bonus is the tax credit we get on top of this.

So, what's next....chickens? If you look closely at the picture above you will see a chicken coop. Yeah, we're thinking about it! :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! That's my chicken coop! I wondered which one of you lily-livered chicken coop rustlers took off with it! And that's all the mention I get in terms of leading you down the dark path of woodstoves? Typical...

NaKee' Natural said...

Our most wonderful friends, Rich & Joan, introduced us to the 'enlightened' path of woodstoves. We also inherited their chicken coop when they left for Japan. Thank you, thank you(she says bowing with hands stretched out on ground)....we are most grateful.

Seriously, we have learned quite a lot from our friends and appreciate their simplicity and goodness. We really have missed them since they moved!

Anonymous said...

We too had a woodstove in our home and used it to heat our home in the cold months. After many years and countless trips hauling wood we upgraded to an outdoor woodstove. We love it! Not only does it heat our home but we use it to heat our water also. We do use our propane for the stove and dryer but knowing that we are saving a couple of thousand each year the choppin/hauling wood is worth it.

Chickens ... let me know how that goes. I've tossed the idea in my head several times and Martha Stewart just wrote about starting a coop in her latest mag. My hubbys says "NO WAY". I'm concerned with how messy I heard they are and don't want the cost of heating them in the winter.

Enjoyed your post ~ Heather

NaKee' Natural said...

Wow, that's great Heather!

About those chickens. We have friends who have chickens, and we will be getting some either this spring or next spring. We are only going to get 3, and we are planning on getting an Ameracauna, which lays blue/green eggs and possibly an Orpington also. I am not sure which other one. There are so many kinds to choose from. I hear they can be great pets too. We would really like to supply our own eggs. Fun Fact: Backyard chickens produce eggs that contain 4 to 6x the vitamin D, and a third less cholesterol, and twice the omega-3 fatty acids as typical supermarket eggs. We will not get any roosters though. Go to www.backyardchickens.com . Lots of information there.
Candy :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Candy! I will certainly check out that website. I just watched Food Inc and am going to be making great efforts to grow our own foods this coming year. Heather

NaKee' Natural said...

A friend of mine gave that to us to watch. We haven't gotten around to it yet. I hear it is hard to watch. I am planning to plant my seeds soon so I can be ready to plant our garden again! It is so satisfying!

NaKee' Natural said...

An anonymous person has left 2 comments about chickens. One saying Yuck, and the other saying chickens in our backyard and their neighborhood would be nasty. I moderate comments, and I don't post comments from people who won't say who they are, so please email me at candy@nakeenatural.com and let me know who you are and your reasons for thinking that chickens are nasty.
I would be happy to discuss this with you, and explore your reasoning. :) Candy

Anonymous said...

Re. your chicken situation: Looks like someone just has a different opinion on things than you do. Doesn't make them wrong or you right. Just their opinion. I think they should have the right to comment on it just like anyone else. Isn't that kind of the point. We all live life differently! Not everything needs to be debated or reasoned about. Guessing you would post an "anonymous" post if it agreed with you!!:)

NaKee' Natural said...

Dear Anonymous,

I am sorry if I offended you. If I knew who you were, I would write this note privately. I don't have any idea about raising chickens, I was hoping you could help shed some light on the subject since you are interested enough in the subject to comment on my blog.

I am just a wife, mom, and entrepreneur who has this blog to share with customers/friends/those who care; about making soap, and life in general(see the description of the blog to the right). I have no interest in debating or nit-picking back and forth on it. I frankly just don't have the energy for it, but I did want to express my apologies for any offense I may have caused by not publishing your comments.

It is ok that you have a different opinion...really! I don't mind critiques because it helps me grow and expand my thinking. What I don't think is right is if someone has a negative comment, and expresses it anonymously. It is cowardly behavior in my opinion. *Note: I am not saying the 'person' is a coward, I am expressing my opinion about the behavior.

If someone wants to post something that is critical and does so anonymously, that certainly is their right. Absolutely, no doubt about it....and it is also the right of the blogger to moderate the comments and decide to publish or reject those comments.

We do all live differently, and I respect that. I think we all live differently at different times in our lives as well. Life is a journey, and not everyone's is the same journey. That is what makes life grand! If we were all the same, it would be boring.

My desire and goal is to learn from others and experiences and grow in all areas of my life....and blog about it if I wish to.


Candy Sweeney
NaKee' Natural