Tuesday, August 12, 2008

New Favorite Health Food - Flaxseed


Who knew such nutrition could be packed into a seed!

We have used flaxseed for some time in our protein drinks for after a workout. I read the label, and knew it was nutritious and would add goodness to my shake. Until I read the ENTIRE label and then researched it on the internet, little did I know about this little linseed gem.

I know I need more Omega 3's. I don't care for fish, and hate taking supplements. I also know I could use more fiber in my diet as well, and I don't want to spend the money on benefiber. Flaxseed has all this and much more as I will explain.

Fiber Provider/Cholesterol Checker: Just 2 Tablespoons a day will supply amazing nutrition! In these 2 Tablespoons contain as much fiber as 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal...good for your heart! LDL cholesterol drops, and HDL stays put. Not to mention the unmentionable problem - irregularity.
Cancer Fighter: Lignans are natural antioxidants and also a member of phytoestrogens, which maintains breast and colon health by binding estrogens that may promote unchecked cell growth.



Mega Omega 3 Supplier: Flaxseed has the richest source of fatty acids and lignans, which are potent cancer fighters. Alpha-linolenic acid is the plant version of omega 3's.The oil in flaxseed contains about 50% linolenic acid. Canola and walnut oils are the next highest, but at a weary 10%! One serving contains 2400 mg of omega 3's.

Immunity Improver: The alpha-linolenic acid and the lignans also decreases inflammation and promotes a healthy immune system which may be helpful for auto-immune and inflammatory disorders.

Hormone Helper: Lignans naturally regulate menstrual cycles, help manage menopause and lower the risk of osteoporosis.

Weight Controller: There is research that also indicates flaxseed helps manage weight by managing blood sugar levels and adding bulk, creating a more "full feeling" at meals.



Food Enhancer: Yes, it tastes good. It has a nutty flavor that can be used in shakes, oatmeal, cereal, and in baked goods. Ground flaxseed can be substituted for shortening or cooking oil in baked goods! It can also replace butter or margarine in a recipe. Oh, and it is gluten-free too.
So there you have it. I will be using this gem every day from here on out. So many reasons to use it!! Be sure to get the "ground" flaxseed unless you want to grind it yourself. Also, the flaxseed is much better than the oil. You get more benefits. I will be looking for an organic source and compare the prices. When you open the package, remember to put it in a bag and into the refrigerator.

Happy Flaxing!
Candy

No comments: