Monday, August 17, 2009

Were You Born to Run?


From another blog, I came across this fantastic-sounding book today, and thought I would share! It is called Born To Run by Christopher McDougall. I am so excited to read it. I am in the midst of training for a half marathon in September, and my husband is training for a full marathon in October, so this sounds like a great book to read right now to stay motivated.

It is interesting that I was just thinking about this topic the other day. I was wondering if we, as humans, are really 'built' to run the miles we do when we are training for long distances like this. Maybe I was just thinking about the long run I had ahead of me on Sunday, and the longer ones ahead until the half marathon, and looking for an excuse not to do it. Truth be told, I can't 'not do it'. There are too many benefits for me to quit. I have thought about quitting many times. It is definitely a commitment...a lifestyle change...it takes time, motivation, and dedication. But the proof is in the rewards that are physical, mental, emotional, as well as spiritual if one chooses. Some are forever telling me I am crazy and asking me why I do it.

Why not? It costs very little money all in all to strap on a pair of shoes and party with the pavement. So, if you are looking for some motivation to run, this may be the book for you. From what I have read in the reviews, it gives a whole different perspective to running.

I am excited to learn the contrasts between modern endurance runners, who experience on average a running injury every year, and the Tarahumara Indians in Mexico. These indigenous people are known for their ability to run long distances--they run much more than us, at 50 to 200 miles at a time AND rarely experience any running injuries. It is not unusual for them to run into old age, even into their nineties.

If you are interested, let's read it together! Let me know if you are planning to read this book, and we can discuss it in a later post.

Enjoying The Journey,
Candy

No comments: